Monday, April 21, 2014

Hat 13 – Putting on my Top Hat

Yes, Gentle Readers, I have knit a top hat. It is the pattern Marlene from the book Hat Couture. I love this book because the hats are so much fun, with lots of embellishments and such. I will be adding a ribbon and other items after the hat is completely dry. To get the hat to stand up, you must knit at a very tight gauge. I used a size US 10 needle on a super bulky yarn. The yarn is Ella Rae Mega. It is a single spun yarn and it was ideal for this project. I have never knit with yarn before. It is okay to knit with, but it did have some weird strands of something in the yarn, maybe guard hairs or nylon. I am not sure which.  They were easy to pull out so it wasn’t a big deal, just strange. The biggest problem with this hat is the tight gauge. My hands would ache like the dickens after about an hour of knitting. I was a little worried about how it looked before I blocked it, but I love how it turned out. I can’t wait till it is dry and adorned and I can wear it out and about.

No comments: